Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science (FOS) is one of the six faculties at the Islamic University in Uganda. The faculty was established in 1994/95 academic year to offer Diploma and Degree programmes in natural and applied sciences. FOS started with only 2 degree programmes; BSc Education and BSc Hons. Currently the Faculty has seven departments with eighteen academic programs at certificate, diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate levels and also one school of nursing and a Centre for Vocational Training (VTC).
Faculty GoalThe faculty core values are in line with those of the university but particularly Faculty of Science aims at;
i.Producing highly proficient, practical scientist in Natural and applied Sciences.
ii.Engaging in research and innovation relevant to the growth of the society around the world.
iii.Participating in community growth by providing outreach services to relevant stake holders.
Faculty VisionIn line with the university vision, the Faculty of Science aims at producing and disseminating scientific knowledge, relevant skills and training necessary to produce all round science professionals who shall be of great value to the current and future society needs.
Faculty MissionThe faculty desires to function as a component of the university to attain its vision; mission and core values by creating a scientific and Islamic impact on society. This can be achieved by using scientific methods in teaching and being innovation in a manner that is acceptable and relevant to the academic global environment and Islam.
Faculty Programs1. The Diploma programs:
- Diploma in Computer Science And Information Technology,
- Diploma In Library Science and Information Science,
- Diploma in Records Management,
- Diploma in Compressive Nursing
- Diploma in Mid Wifery and
- Diploma in General Nursing.
2. Undergraduate degree programmes:
- Bsc Computer Science (Bsc. C.S),
- Bsc Environmental Science (Bsc. Env.),
- Bachelors of Information Technology (BIT),
- Bachelors of Statistics (B. Stat),
- Bachelors Of Population and Environmental Health (BPEH),
- Bachelor Of Food Science and Nutrition (BSFN) and
- Bachelor of Science (Hons)
3. Postgraduate programmes:
- Postgraduate diploma in Computer science and Information Technology (PGDCIT)
- Master Of Science Environmental Science(Msc Env),
- Master of Science Zoology (Msc. ZOO) and
- Master of Science Botany(Msc. BOT)
Note: Opportunities to enroll for certificate courses in Computer Hardware and Maintenance, Desktop Publishing, Office Automation, Web-page Design and Publication, Library and Information Science, Records Management and Nursing are also available.
The Faculty is comprised of seven Academic Departments, a School of Nursing and a Vocational Training Center, each of which is responsible for teaching, research and community outreach in their selected areas of specialization.
1. DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
2. DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
3. DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS
4. DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE
5. DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY AND BIOCHEMISTRY
6. DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
7. DEPARTMENT OF FOOD SCIENCE AND NUTRITION